10 tips for proactive management of top talent
1. Think beyond wages: implement strategies to attract and retain good staff
Identify what factors would make staff want to stay in your employ and create flexible employee benefits around these issues. Clearly define what is on offer from the outset.
2. Provide up-and-coming staff the opportunity for professional development
mentoring opportunities by more senior and experienced staff to up-and-coming talent to take an active role in the leadership team and influence the business’ direction
greater exposure to key development areas the employee is interested in.
3. Utilise the essential skills and experience of your mature-aged employees
strategies that best utilise their skills, experience, passion, loyalty and commitment e.g. coaching and mentoring young and less experienced staff.
4. Provide all employees the opportunity to develop their skills, knowledge and qualifications
ongoing training and education via conferences, seminars, workshops and apprenticeships.
initiatives to help employees grow their skill set.
5. Be a true “employer of choice”
Consider offering and encouraging balanced and flexible working arrangements for all staff.
6. Create a culture of trust and employee engagement
Encourage your good staff to feel accountable for staff turnover. Empower them with the ability to make decisions and a difference in this area.
7. Ensure roles, responsibilities and expectations are clear
Employees need to understand clearly what‘s expected of them, their objectives, and where they fit into the company’s vision.
8. Ensure employees feel they can speak their mind freely
Listen to your employees – they are often at the coalface and can bring a new perspective to the table. Develop a transparent management strategy and talent leadership approach that encourages people to speak up.
9. Utilise employees’ talents and skills
Talk with employees and learn about their talents, abilities, skills and aspirations. Offer them opportunities to showcase their knowledge and skills.
10. Select the right people when hiring
Use behaviour-based testing and competency screening to find the right fit when hiring.