2. Limit your air conditioner and heater usage
Heating and cooling are responsible for up to 50% of energy usage at home, depending on your climate zone and factors such as insulation. Fortunately, there are a few easy things you can do to cut down on your energy usage and maximise the efficiency of your heating and cooling systems:
- make sure your doors and windows are sealed properly – this could cut your energy bill by up to 25%
- keep doors closed when the air conditioner or heater is switched on
- only heat or cool the rooms in which you’re working
- invest in heavy blinds or window coverings to reduce heat loss in winter and block out sunlight in summer.
And if you have a thermostat, adjusting it by as little as one degree can make a noticeable difference. In fact, for every degree, you increase the temperature when cooling or decrease it when heating, you can save up to 10% on your energy use.
The Australian Government recommends setting your heating between 18°C and 20°C in winter and your cooling between 25°C and 27°C in summer.